Thursday, March 31, 2011

Baked Cucumbers...aka Concombres au Beurre

Who ever heard of baked cucumbers? Certainly not  me...until Julie & Julia became my favorite movie and I watched it six times in one month. Julie & Julia is a true story, based on the book, which was based on a blog by Julie Powell as she chronicled the year she spent cooking her way through Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." The movie combines the stories of both Julie Powell and Julia Child lives and is wonderful, inspiring and it makes me want to cook.

Which leads me back to Concombres au Beurre...a fancy French name for baked cucumbers. I know what you're thinking. "Eww...baked cucumbers." When I entertained the thought of making them, I withheld my "ewws" until I and my wonderful, guinea pig boyfriend could try them.

What I found out was that when cucumbers are baked they do not turn mushy and slimy, as I thought they would. They do not develop a sour flavor during the cooking process (did I think they would pickle themselves while baking?), like I thought they would. In fact, baked cucumbers are "a revelation" just like Julie Powell says in the movie. I thought I would make them once, say "ehh, they were okay" and let it go at that. But I will make them again and my boyfriend who, bless his heart, is willing to try everything I make, also gave them a thumbs-up.

This simple recipe calls for ingredients you most likely have around the house, so be brave and try it! Or, as Julia Child would say, "Have the courage of your convictions." The blend of cucumbers, vinegar, butter and seasonings turns out delicious and this side dish will work well with any type of fish, meat or poultry.

Concombres au Beurre (Baked Cucumbers)

Ingredients:

3 whole cucumbers, peeled (each about 8 inches long)
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
3/4 tsp. salt
Pinch of sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. dried basil
2 tbsp. chopped chives
Pinch of black pepper

Directions:

1. Cut the peeled cucumbers in half, lengthwise, and scrape a spoon over each half to remove the seeds.

Peeled with seeds scooped out.
2. Cut each cucumber half into strips 1/2-inch wide and 2-inches long.

3. Place the cucumbers in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar, 3/4 tsp. salt and a pinch of sugar. Stir the ingredients together with a wooden spoon until the salt and vinegar mixture has coated all the cucumbers. Let the cucumber mixture sit for a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of overnight. The vinegar and salt bath draws excess moisture out of the cucumbers without compromising flavor and texture.


Marinating in the vinegar and salt bath.
 4. Drain the cucumbers then lay them in a single layer between two clean kitchen towels and pat dry.

5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the cucumbers in a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan. Add 1 1/2 tbsp. melted butter, 1/2 tsp. dried basil, 2 tbsp. chopped chives and a pinch of black pepper. Toss the ingredients with a spoon until the seasonings and butter are evenly distributed over the cucumbers.


The "Before" Picture
 6. Bake the cucumbers in the oven for one hour, stirring them every 20 minutes, then spreading them back into a single layer.


Baked and ready to serve.

Julia Child...the French Chef
 Baked cucumbers are fresh and light, a definite no-guilt side dish, and the fragrance that wafts out of the kitchen as they bake is a delicious blend of cucumbers, butter and herbs. Julia Child hit the nail on the head, as far as Concombres au Beurre goes, when she said "Bon Appetit!"

Cooking Tip: I didn't have white wine vinegar and didn't feel like walking to the store to buy any. Instead, I substituted 2 tsp. white vinegar and 2 tsp. white wine. It tasted really good.

Because of the mild flavor of cucumbers, you can afford to err on the high side when it comes to adding seasonings. A little more than what is called for wouldn't hurt and I might try a little dill mixed in there the next time.

Give these a try and let me know what you think in the "comments" section.

1 comment:

  1. ciao! ho appena finito di leggere il libro Julie&Julia e incuriosita dalla descrizione della bontà dei cetrioli al forno, cercando sono giunta a questo post... proverò la ricetta e ti farò sapere, mi unisco ai tuoi lettori e ti pubblicizzerò

    ReplyDelete